ENG   |   EΛΛ
Home > Info > FAQ


Q: What exactly is “Public performance”?
Α: Every case of use/performance/presentation of the work of art that will make it accessible to persons beyond the narrow circle of the family, friends, and the immediate social environment, even if these persons of the broader circle are in the same or different areas will be considered as a “Public performance”. If the music is used beyond the narrow circle of the family and purely for personal enjoyment and not in a public area (such as a shop or a doctorΆs office) will not be considered as “Public performance”.

Q: What is the difference between the music that is played been useful or necessary for the business?
Α: Music is considered as useful when it improves the atmosphere, for example if it is heard from a radio or a central audio system in offices, cafeterias, restaurants, parking areas etc. Necessary music for entertainment purposes is the music that is dominantly dancing music and played in public areas such as nightclubs etc.

Q: Do I need a licence every time I play music?
Α: A licence will be required if your customers or staff can listen to the music. In this case you will have to pay an annual fee for your licence you can see the way this fee is calculated here.

Q: We purchase our music from a supplier of music coverage services so we have already paid for it. Should we also pay Gea?
Α: In a case such as this you have paid for the supply of music as a product, which is different from the licence regarding the use/performance/presentation of the said music in public areas. The relevant rights regarding public performance have to be paid to GEA and the intellectual property collecting societies (AEPI, AUTODIAHIRISI).

Q: We use music while the callers are on hold in our call centre, and also music is played in the restaurant of our company. Does that mean that two different licences are required?
Α: Correct. You do need a separate licence for every different use of music, in this case one for the music you use while the callers are on hold in your call centre and one for the music you use in restaurant of your company. Still there will be a single invoice for both uses.

Q: In our Association we organise an annual event. Do we need a licence for that?
Α: Yes, the licence is an ongoing legal obligation whether the music is used throughout the year or during a single event/activity. You can obtain a special licence from GEA that will be valid for a short period or even for just one event/activity.

Q: Music is played in our shopping centre only during the Christmas season. Is there a licence available for this type of use?
Α: Yes there is and you can obtain it from GEA. You can also obtain a similar type of licence for other periods or for specific festive season such as the Carnival.

Q: I run a large number of shops where music is used. How can I obtain a licence for all the shops?
Α: A licence has to be obtained separately for every shop. To do this please use the application form in our website. If you prefer a single invoice you can request so and it will be granted without any additional charge.

Q: Do small, non-profit accusations / organisations consisting of volunteers need a licence?
Α: A licence is required whenever music is used beyond the narrow personal circle as it is mentioned in the section ΅Users of MusicΆ. The law does not distinguish between profit and non-profit organisations. Therefore even if your organisation is a non-profit one and is ran by volunteers you should have a licence for which you will have to pay royalties to GEA.

Q: I am a beautician with a small number of clients per week. Do I have to pay full royalties?
Α: Yes of course you do. Yet factors such as that of the few operating hours and the area of your premises have already been incorporated and taken into consideration in the tariffs list.

Q: Do we need a licence for the music we use in our website?
Α: It depends on the way music is used. If music starts automatically each time a user visits your website, then you do need a licence from GEA. However if it is the visitors that have to chose for the music to start playing and they can chose what to see or listen to, then we have a case of “on demand” use and royalties are not to be paid to GEA. The royalties for this type of use are to be paid directly to the record companies. For more information regarding both the “on demand” use of music, and the use of music video clips, you should contact the Society for the Collective Management of the Rights of the Producers of Audio or Audiovisual Material Carriers (GRAMMO) and the societies ERATO and APOLLON.

Q: I keep just one TV set in my shop. Do I still have to pay royalties to GEA?
Α: Yes, you need a licence to play music in public, irrespective of the equipment you might use for this purpose. The same goes for the TV channels you are usually tuned to.

Q: The audio CD I use contains only sounds of nature. Do I have to pay royalties for this?
Α: If there is any kind of musical background in this CD and it is publicly performed then, yes, you will have to pay royalties.

Q: I only use music whose composers are dead for more than 70 years. Do I need a licence from GEA?
Α: This period (70 years after the death of the creator) is related to the protection provided to the intellectual property rights of the composers / lyric writers which are managed by AEPI and AUTODIAHIRISI.
GEA on the other hand manages the related rights on behalf of the interpreters, performers and record producers which are subject to a different period of protection. A piece of music is protected for 70 years after the fixation or if it has been legally published for 70 years after the first legal publication according to the new EU directive.

Q: How is the remuneration I am to pay calculated?
Α: In GEA we analyse the use of music in two ways: by using the licence application forms that the users of music have completed, as well as the in situ inspections by our authorised staff. On the basis of all these we decide first if a licence will be required and if this is the case what the valid tariffs are.

Q: What will happen if I don't pay?
Α: According to the law in force you have breached the law and legal proceeding will be pursued so that the remuneration due is collected, in addition you will be burdened with the court expenses.

Q: How does GEA monitor the use of music by businesses?
Α: The inspectors of GEA carry out inspections in businesses / users of music.

Q: How is the money collected by GEA spent?
Α: The distribution department of GEA, which is a non-profit organisation of the civil law, is responsible for the calculation and distribution of the collected rights to the societies of the musicians (APOLLON) the singers (ERATO) and the producers (GRAMMO), which in turn are responsible to distribute these amounts to the beneficiaries.

Q: In what way the rights for the use of music are specified in other countries?
Α: The law in almost all European – and quite a few non-European – is similar to the Greek one.

Q: My particular details have changed. How can I notify accordingly?
Α: The change of address should always be notified in writing. The relevant correspondence should be sent to the following address:
231, Mesogeion Αve, P.C. 15431, N. Psychiko, Greece

Q: We do pay royalties to AEPI and/or AUTODIAHIRISI. Doesn't the payment of royalties to GEA mean paying twice for the same right?
Α: No, GEA represents a different group of beneficiaries that those AEPI and AUTODIAHIRISI represent.
AEPI / AUTODIAHIRISI manage the rights of the creators of music that is the composers and the lyric writers, while GEA manages the rights of those who contribute to the production of music: record companies, interpreters and musicians.

Find more information abut the recorded music's rights and the role of GEA at our Code of Conduct page.

Sitemap   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy

GEA the non-profit music licensing organization by GRAMMO-ERATO-APOLLON / all rights reserved © 2014
4 Lazarou Sochou, PC 11525, Neo Psychico, Athens, Greece / Tel. 801 11 11 432, 214 41 65 300 fax: 210 67 52 829

Designed by Anna Trouli / Developed by Whitefrog